New Mexico Drivers License Information

New Mexico Drivers License Information

New-Mexico-drivers-LicenseOnce you have established residency in New Mexico, you are required to surrender your license from any other state and apply for a New Mexico license. You have 30 days to get a New Mexico Drivers license after moving to the state.

To get a non-commercial driver license, you will need to bring the following documents to any MVD Field Office:

Only one document from each category may be used-An example: One utility bill and one letter bank statement but not a gas bill and an electric bill. This would count as two of the same type of residency documents.

More Information at

Teen Drivers

If you are under 18 year old, you must drive on a graduated drivers license until you meet the requirements for an unrestricted license. There are three levels of Graduated Drivers Licenses.

  1. Instructional Permit
  2. Provisional License
  3. Full License

Fees for an Instructional Permit, Provisional License and Driver License

  • Instructional Permit – $10.00
  • Provisional License – $18.00
  • Full-Unrestricted License – 4-year license is $18.00; 8-year license is $34.00

Instructional Permit:

  • Complete and pass a TSB “approved” ‘driver education’ program which includes a 3-hour DWI component
  • Complete and pass a state-approved driver education program;
  • Drive with an adult 21 or older who has been licensed for a minimum of 3 years;
  • Complete 50 hours of supervised driving practice, including 10 hours at night;
  • Maintain a clean driving record for the 90 days preceding application for Stage 2; and
  • Not drink and drive. Even a .02 percent concentration of alcohol – barely one drink – could result in a 6-month license revocation for drivers under age 21.

Provisional License

To get a provisional license, a teen must be at least 15 ½ years old and have successfully completed Stage 1. At the MVD Field Office the teen and the parent/ guardian will complete and sign a provisional license application. In signing the provisional license application, the teen and the parent verify that the teen:

Has completed Stage 1 successfully;

  • Has been driving only with an adult 21 years or older who has been licensed for at least 3 years;
  • Has not been convicted of a traffic violation* in the 90 days preceding application for a provisional license; and
  • Has not been drinking and driving.

Then, the teen must:

  • Provide a TSB ‘Certificate of Completion’ that clearly shows the applicant achieved a passing score from a TSB “approved” Driver Education School’ that includes a 3-hour DWI component
  • Provide the GDL driving log (Graduated Driver’s License log-any document that records the necessary information handwritten or typed) that shows the teen has completed the practice driving component of 50 hours behind the wheel training, 10 of which are at night. The driving log must be signed by the parent or guardian.
  • Pass the MVD Road Skills Exam. If the teen has taken the “approved” MVD Road Skills Exam with an MVD “contracted” ‘Driver Education School,’ the teen must provide the completed MVD Record of Completion with the passing test scores.

Once the provisional license is issued, the following conditions apply:

  • The teen driver must hold the provisional license for at least 12 months.
  • Unless a licensed driver age 21 or older is in the vehicle, a provisional license-holder may not have more than one passenger in the vehicle under the age of 21 who is not an immediate family member.
  • The teen driver may not operate a motor vehicle between the hours of midnight and 5 a.m. unless accompanied by a licensed driver age 21 or older. Exceptions are permitted for school, employment, family and medical need, or religious functions (licensees must carry a statement from the appropriate school, or religious official, employer, doctor, or parent/ guardian).

Full License

To get a full-unrestricted license, the teen and the parent/ guardian must complete and sign a driver license application. In signing the driver license application, the teen and the parent verify that the teen:

  • Has completed Stage 2 successfully;
  • Has not been convicted of a traffic violation* 90 days preceding application for a full license;
  • Does not have any traffic violations* pending at the time of application for a driver license; and
  • Has not been found guilty or have an offense pending involving the use of alcohol or drugs during the provisional period.

More Information at

Automobile Registration

To register your vehicle in NM, you will need to take the following documentation to any Motor Vehicle Division field office:

  • your certificate of title
  • your current certificate of registration from another state
  • your odometer reading to complete an odometer statement
  • proof of New Mexico residency and your New Mexico residential address
  • vehicle ID inspection certificate signed by a full-time law enforcement officer or by an employee at a local MVD Field Office.
  • proof of insurance including policy number and insurance carrier name

In addition to the above, residents of the Albuquerque metropolitan area (Bernalillo County and parts of adjacent counties) must provide proof that the vehicle has passed an emissions inspection test.

Residents of the Bernalillo County are required to have their vehicles tested and to provide proof that the vehicles have passed an emissions inspection test. These tests are available throughout the county at certified “Air Care” stations. For more information about emissions testing, contact the Vehicle Pollution Management Division, 1500 Broadway NE, Albuquerque, NM 87102; (505) 247-2273. More information available online.

The registration fee for passenger vehicles is based on the weight and model year of the vehicle. Registration fees range from $27.00 to $62.00 for a one (1) year registration or $54.00 to $124.00 for a two (2) year registration.

Automobile Insurance

In New Mexico, drivers must operate their motor vehicles with a minimum of liability auto insurance. Minimum auto liability insurance amounts required in New Mexico are:

  • $25,000 for bodily injury to or death of one person,
  • $50,000 for bodily injury to or death of two or more persons, and
  • $10,000 for property damage in any one accident.

Areas We Cover